A free, fast and easy to use regenerate thumbnails plugin supported by ShortPixel 🙂
Regenerate Thumbnails Advanced (RTA) plugin comes in handy when you install a new WordPress theme on your site that has different image sizes. While the newly uploaded images will be cropped and resized to fit your new theme, the old thumbnails will remain unchanged. Using RTA you can regenerate the thumbnails for all your existing images.
It is also very useful when you have many not-used-anymore thumbnails and you want to remove them while making sure you have all the needed thumbnails generated.
- Choose the quality of the regenerated thumbs.
- Option to remove not-used-anymore thumbnails.
- Remove metadata for missing images and thumbnails
- Fully integrated with ShortPixel Image Optimizer.
- Option to select the thumbnail size for featured and non-featured images.
- Option to easily add as many extra thumbnail sizes as you wish.
- Interval selection (last day, week, month, all) for the thumbs that will be regenerated.
- Clean and simple interface where you have a progress bar showing you the percentage of images regenerated.
- Resume function – the regeneration process will continue from where it was left in case you accidentally close the processing tab in your browser.
For support please contact us here making sure you mention RTA plugin.
Other plugins by ShortPixel
- ShortPixel Image Optimizer – Image optimization & compression for all the images on your website, including WebP & AVIF delivery
- ShortPixel Adaptive Images – On-the-fly image optimization & CDN delivery
- Enable Media Replace – Easily replace images or files in Media Library
- Resize Image After Upload – Automatically resize each uploaded image
- WP SVG Images – Secure upload of SVG files to Media Library
- ShortPixel Critical CSS – Automatically generate above-the-fold CSS for fatster loading times and better SEO scores
Get in touch!
Nothing special about the installation process, just visit “Plugins” section in your /wp-admin, search for “regenerate thumbnails advanced”, install & activate the plugin and then from Settings section you can start using it.
Can I regenerate just a few images
You have the option to select from: all, past day, past week, past month
What happens if I close the page while the regeneration process is running?
The script stops but it will resume after you open the settings page of the plugin once again.
Contributors & Developers
“reGenerate Thumbnails Advanced” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
“reGenerate Thumbnails Advanced” has been translated into 12 locales. Thank you to the translators for their contributions.
Interested in development?
Release date: February 27, 2023
* Fix: Videos uploaded with VideoPress were removed from the Media Library when using the “Remove non-existing images” option;
Release date: December 1st 2020
* New: Pause Button;
* New: Resuming process from another page now starts paused;
* New: Added Filter for increasing number of items processed per run;
* Fix: Users optimizing more than 50K images could run into a code loop protection.
Release date: August 17th 2020
* Fix : Regenerate Period now calculates from time set in WordPress to respect timezone settting.
Release date: July 13th 2020
* Fix: PHP warning that was displayed on PHP 7.4.x.
Release date: 29th May 2020
* New system for queuing which should be more efficient;
* New – Added regenerate thumbnails button in edit-attachment screen;
* Fixed – Crash when regenerating image from edit media;
* Fixed – Queries for large amount of images should not timeout;
* Fixes for the responsiveness of the regeneration screen;
* Class loader moved to PSR-4.
Release date: 9th March 2020
* Reworked and improved the process interface
* Option in media library to regenerate just one image
* Will check for post_mime_type in posts and fix it when it’s empty.
* Cookie-based processing removed, now keeps progress as a server setting
* Internal processes optimized.
* Fixed – WordPress 5.3 image handling and scaled images
* Fixed – Metadata not being removed in some cases when “Delete Leftover Image Metadata” is checked.
* Fixed – Logger doesn’t call wp_upload_dir when not debugging
Release date: 7th June 2019
* Replace the two options Exact size for featured/non-featured images with one checkbox Only featured
* Button to stop the regeneration
* Make Keep existing be checked by default
* Change “Regenerate selected thumbnails” checklist to a settings selection
* ShortPixel Image Optimizer integration – call the ‘shortpixel-thumbnails-regenerated’ action passing only the changed sizes
* Fix: Security – Image sizes XSS exploit
* Fix: count(): Parameter must be an array
Release date: 17th April 2019
* Fix warnings related to corrupted metadata in some cases
Release date: 16th April 2019
* Plugin completely rewritten with additional features added:
* Add custom thumbnails
* Select which thumbnails to regenerate
* Regenerate thumbnails only for the featured images
* Rewrite the existing thumbnails or not depending on the selected options
* Integrate seamlessly with ShortPixel Image Optimizer
* Delete unused thumbnails from disk
* Remove metadata for missing images and thumbnails
- please refer to the changelog.txt file inside the plugin archive for the versions before the 2.0.0 full rewrite.