If the appropriate checkboxes are selected in the Post submit box when saving the Post, the plugin reads the EXIF data of the Post’s Featured Image and adds Post Tags and a custom meta value “location” containing the serialized GPS location data of the image.
- If the Post has no Featured Image, or if the Featured Image’s EXIF data is incomplete, then nothing happens.
- The EXIF data is read directly from the image file, not from a database entry.
- If standard values “GPSLongitude” and “GPSLatitude” are not available in the Featured Image’s EXIF data, the post will not be updated with the custom meta field. (A pre-existing value will not be deleted, if this happens.)
- When saving Post Tags, the standard taxonomy
post_tagis set. If you need to modify this, for example in the case of a custom taxonomy, then you can use the filter hook
update-post-with-exif-data/post_taxonomyto change it.
- If you want to see the custom meta value containing serialized GPS location data in the WordPress backend, you’ll need to parse the data and add this field yourself. A good solution for this is the “Advanced Custom Fields” plugin by Elliot Condon, with field type “Google Map”.
- Developers: see the code for a WordPress action hook
update-post-with-exif-data/no-gps, which fires in the event that there is no valid GPS data available in the Featured Image.
- Upload the plugin folder to the
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
Contributors & Developers
“Update Post with EXIF data” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Update Post with EXIF data” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Correct version number in README.
- Additional safeguards in the event of missing GPS data in the EXIF array.
update-post-with-exif-data/no-gpsaction hook to function
- Breaking change: filter hook
post_exif_data_taxonomyis now renamed
- Bugfix: check to ensure that both GPSLongitude and GPSLatitude are set before updating location meta.
- Add unique PHP namespace.
- Comply with PSR-2 coding standards.
- Add action to assist with debugging.
- Extend plugin description for better clarification.
- Confirmation of compatibility with WordPress 4.6.
- Fix typo in README.
- Confirmation of compatibility with WordPress 4.5.
- Replace hard-coded list of customized taxonomy keys with standard taxonomy
post_tag, and add filter to allow this
to be customized by third parties.
- Clean up code (whitespace, commenting).
- Corrections to version numbering in README/SVN.
- Confirmation of support in WordPress 4.4.2.
- No functional changes.
- Initial public version.